Automated notifications are nothing new; they are mainstream in today’s society.
You receive them from your bank, cell phone vendor, pharmacy, etc. When you book airline tickets online, you receive notifications about flight status. People are busy and have come to appreciate these types of notifications.
Offering automated appointment reminders to your patients cuts down on no-shows and allows your staff to focus on higher priority tasks.
Statistically, practices that call patients manually between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm have a less than 15% chance of reaching the patients. Automated solutions are timed so that calls connect with patients 80-85% of the time. And, automated solutions generally cost less per day to use than hourly staff.
Practices use automated messaging for Appointment Reminders, Recalls, Account Balance Notifications and Emergency/Inclement Weather Closings via phone, email and 2-way text messaging.
Contact Patients the Way They Want to be Contacted
160 patients, ages 19-92, at a multispecialty practice were surveyed on how they prefer to be reminded of their appointments. The results are as follows:
- 91% of patients prefer using text messaging.
Of the patients that use text messaging…
- 81% want appointment confirmations via text. (67% said they would likely respond to confirm their appointments. However, confirmation rates are often as much as 75%.)
- 42% prefers confirmations via automated phone call.
- 41% prefers confirmations via email.
- 26% prefer confirmations via call from staff.
Contact patients the way they prefer to be contacted and allow staff to focus on higher priority tasks.